You want your home to be safe, secure, and healthy. A house should provide comfort after long days of work, school, and other obligations. There are simple and affordable changes that provide long-term benefits. Below you’ll find three excellent ways to make your home healthy and safe.
1. Regularly Change Your Air Filters for a Healthy and Safe Home
Changing your HVAC filter as recommended is important for keeping your home healthy and safe. By replacing dirty filters, you:
- improve the performance and lifespan of your HVAC system
- circulate clean and healthy air throughout your home
- remove allergens and dust
Replacement air filters are inexpensive, ranging from approximately $10 to $20 each, depending on the style you choose. While you’ll pay more for HEPA filters, they are more effective at removing particulates from the air.
2. A Healthy and Safe Home Uses Natural or Homemade Cleaning Products
Household cleaning products are essential to maintain a tidy home. Unfortunately, many common cleaning products contain toxic chemicals. These chemicals are dangerous to inhale or absorb and can even erode household surfaces over time.
Natural cleaning products are an easy solution for keeping your home healthy and safe. Look for cleaning supplies labeled ‘eco-friendly’, ‘natural’, ‘green’, and ‘non-toxic’.
Alternatively, you can make your own cleaning products with safe, simple ingredients that are proven effective. For example, many recipes use white vinegar because it has antimicrobial properties. Add pure essential oils to give your homemade cleaners a pleasant scent. Spot test any homemade cleaning product before using it throughout your house.
3. Filter Your Drinking Water
When considering ways to keep your home healthy and safe, drinking water may not immediately come to mind. However, your municipal water may not be free from contaminants. There is a wide array of water filters that provide benefits:
- remove elements like lead and chlorine
- improve digestive system health
- filter out bacteria like E. coli
- remove physical contaminants like sediment
Explore options, find a filter that meets your needs, and enjoy safer, cleaner drinking water.
What Else Can You do to Keep Your Home Healthy And Safe?
There are other changes you can make for a healthier and safer home. Think about your current environment and how it can be improved. For example:
- Fill any small openings or crevices with caulk to keep out rodents and pests.
- If you have babies or toddlers, use babyproofing methods to improve safety.
- If you are a pet owner, purchase air purifiers to help reduce dander and allergens within your home.
- Increase swimming pool safety by installing a fence with a locking gate and an alarm.
The tips in this article are a great starting point to make healthy changes throughout your home.